Faith House Manhattan's online presences (in the plural) have proliferated and blossomed this year! For example, 1800 of you are receiving this newsletter. The links below will give you an additional information about what is happening on this island called Manhattan, and provide ways for you to participate!
www.faithhousemanhattan.org is now 2 ½ years old, with Sabbath Poems, articles going back to January 2007, and even better content in the works. In addition, a new page listing all our Living Room Gatherings includes some titles linking to full outlines of that day's program.
Participate! We invite you to engage our Living Room ideas online and adapt them for your local community ... or create new ideas and share them with us. Please comment on website articles and send Sabbath Poems or ideas for articles (and authors) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Three easy ways to find out what's happening at Faith House:
1) Keep up with our community gatherings. Subscribe to the NYC Weekly Update (along with 900 others!). Each week, we send out a colorful email with upcoming Living Room gatherings and other events.
2) Join our Facebook group (currently 123 members) to get invited to all Living Room gatherings, post and view photos and make comments on the Wall.
3) Find out about other wonderful, interfaith events in NYC on a Meetup calendar. Anyone can view these events, or you can join Meetup and our group. You can also send events for the Meetup Calendar to email@example.com.
Take a peak at Faith House in action. There are 220 photos in our flickr group online.
Participate! Are you a photographer? If you would like to take photos at one of our events, please ask a staff member before the event begins, then join our flickr group and add your pics.
Photo above: Rabia leading Sufi Ceremony of Dhikrullah
Photo left: Jill and young people in a Sukkah they built, by Alvin Poblacion
Below: Postcard designed by Mairim Pina
ONLINE GIVING & OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT FAITH HOUSE
If you are already giving to those who are exploring the boundaries of your own religion and building bridges with "the other" in our interdependent world, keep up the good work! They need your support. If you are not investing into an interdependent future this way, join those who support Faith House with gifts of $5 to $200 placed in a basket at a Living Room, people who have made one-time gifts online from $10 to $1,000, and those who pledge 1%, 2 ½ or 5% of their annual income. During the recession we have paired down our budget more than 60% determined to come out alive and well on the other side!
Here are specific ways to support Faith House through tax-deductible contributions, and two ways to support Faith House online:
1) Our Facebook Cause has 171 members and 11 donors, who have contributed $1,260 to Faith House. Join the cause and invite your friends.
2) Give directly through our Adventist Metro Ministries (AMM) website. We are currently in the process of becoming our own 501c3, but are thankful that AMM has taken us under their umbrella in these early years of getting started. On the donation page, select "Faith House" for "My gift to go towards."
3) Support us offline by making an offering at a Living Room in our baskets or "snail mail" a check for Faith House Manhattan to P.O. Box 552, New York, NY 10028.
4) If you are thinking about making a significant contribution, please talk to a member of the staff or our treasurer, Rod Colburn, or consider creating a legacy for Faith House by providing a tax-advantaged long-term support such as endowements or trusts.
The Faith House staff is available to get together with you for tea and to hear your dreams, concerns, or answer your questions. Email us samir@-, bowie@-, rabia@faithhousemanhattan to set up a time or share your thoughts with us in writing.
You can also help us learn what your hopes and prayers are for Faith House by filling out a short questionnaire.
We believe God cares more about building a loving human community on earth than about anything else. We hope you will participate in building and growing Faith House.
Bowie Snodgrass & Samir Selmanovic
Faith House Manhattan